The correctness, accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of a Schedule Quantitative Risk Analysis (SQRA) depends heavily on the quality of planning data used for input or, plainly, the quality of the project schedule.
A good quality schedule brings about good, and reliable quantitative results. Good quality begets good project management that begets good results.
The consequences of a poor-quality schedule are practically endless. If unaddressed, the schedule remains counter-intuitive, disconnected, or disjointed, resulting in poor project control.
Low quality produces a flawed schedule not fit for quantitative risk analysis, producing incorrect probability calculations. It will also most likely generate the wrong critical path, influencing the project to focus on the wrong activities and priorities.
Miscommunication and communication breakdown are two known consequences. A schedule with a missing scope is inaccurate representation of the project and will aggravate the problems caused by missing inputs, both to the plan and the schedule. The recycling of wrong and missing information is an issue that management should prevent.
A poorly developed schedule hurts work productivity. It goes against achievability. Forecast becomes less predictable.
Condoning a deficient schedule is the wrong planning and scheduling strategy, producing unclear results and unfulfilled expectations because the project team loses the opportunity to manage the project better.
• Increases the threat to project objectives
• Creates confusions
• Work strategy can become ineffective
• Flaws in resource distribution analysis
• Managing resources becomes challenging
• Resource leveling will be in error
• Generates false risk and performance indicators
• Wrong progress report
• Unable to assess scope and achievability accurately
• Project misalignment
• Scope is not clear
• Missing scope, the schedule is incomplete
To read the full article, go to PM Solution Pro Blog page by clicking the hyperlinked PMSP icon shown below.
RUFRAN C. FRAGO, PMP, P. ENG. , PMI-RMP, CCP, Author (072221)
About the Author
Rufran C. Frago is the Founder of PM Solution Pro, a Calgary consulting, product, and training services firm focusing on project and business management solutions. He is passionate providing advice, mentorship, education and training through consultation, collaboration, and what he uniquely calls, student-led training.
BOOKS AUTHORED BY RUFRAN FRAGO
- Risk-based Management in the World of Threats and Opportunities: A Project Controls Perspective.ISBN 978-0-9947608-0-7.Canada
- Plan to Schedule, Schedule to Plan.ISBN 978-0-9947608-2-1.Canada
- How to Create a Good Quality P50 Risk-based Baseline Schedule.ISBN 978-0-9947608-1-4.Canada
- Schedule Quantitative Risk Analysis (Traditional Method).ISBN 978-0-9947608-3-8.Canada
- RISK, What are you? The Risk Management Poem: Children’s Book for all Professionals.ISBN 978-0-9947608-4-5 (Canada)